First layout made with my February starting points. When i create my starting points, i usually don't have a picture in mind, so i just go with papers i really want to use (like this dark woodgrain) or a color combo i really like (pink, yellow and teal, what's not to love). So when i actually start to scrap these layouts, i first have to find a picture that will match. I'm not too worried about finding the perfect one since i currently have hundreds waiting to be scrapped. Instead of looking at them one by one, i tend to use the photo index i get when i order them, and quickly look at all of the little vignettes.
In this case, 5 photos (over 300, that's pretty good narrowing right?) looked like they might work. I grabbed those 5 and put them next to the layout. 3 didn't work that great and 2 were perfect. The reason i picked this one? The very simple and central design of the starting point made it great for a "transition" layout (layout where i introduce a new place in the album, in this case our arrival at Tadoussac). This process took me about 10 minutes.
Time to scrap then! I wanted a bit more yellow on the layout, and really like the idea of arrow to make the design even more "central". I first tried with triangle wood veneers, yellow paint... and finally decided to cut them out of the same yellow paper i used for the border. Added some stitches (while watching The Middle, i'm a multitasker ;)). I had little yellow triangles from my first attempt, so i decided to use them on top of the layout. Added some more stitches, and a few bits and pieces.
I had the title in mind for a while, but could not find the perfect pink alpha for the title. Ended up discovering this purple one at the bottom of my stash (it's a very old Basic Grey alpha), then wrote the rest of the title with my wood veneer alpha (told you i'm obsessed.
And i decided to stop there. Lots of white space (not so white in this case) can be good sometimes.